Medscape just released their Residents Salary & Debt Report for 2015. To gather data, Medscape surveyed 1745 residents in 24 specialties from May 14, 2015 - June 22, 2015. All participants were enrolled in a US medical resident program. Let's take a look at what we learned...
- Average pay $55,400 ($55,300 in 2014)
- Specialist trainees are compensated more - $62,000 for Critical Care vs $53,000 for Primary Care.
- No gender gap in pay - $56k for men and $55k for women.
- Most of us are happy with our pay - 62%.
- Most of us are practical - only 10% said money had no influence on specialty choice whatsoever.
- Amazingly, 22% of respondents had NO DEBT.
- Of those with debt, 59% had debt over $100k.
- We play well with others - only 1% reported poor working relationships with nurses, PAs and attendings.
- We aren't too jaded - 84% replied "YES" to the question "Still looking forward to being a doctor?"
Check out the full report here.