The annual iPhone launch has become somewhat of a holiday - with record breaking first weekend sales and long lines at the Apple store year after year. As the new iPhone 6S and 6S Plus go on sale this weekend, you might be debating whether it's time for you to upgrade to a shiny new iPhone. Here is the WCM take on whether you should take the leap.
Apple remains the smartphone market leader in profit margin which means you will be paying a hefty premium to partake in the iPhone experience. The pricing for the new iPhones are as follows:
- iPhone 6S (16GB/64GB/128GB) - $649/$749/$849 respectively
- iPhone 6S Plus (16GB/64GB/128GB) - $749/$849/$949 respectively
As you can see, getting the new iPhone will not be a cheap proposal.
There are many detailed comparisons of the specs and features in the new iPhone available online, such as here and here, I won't go into the details but here is the cliffnotes of new features compared to the iPhone 6:
- Upgraded cameras - both the front and the back camera has been upgraded so your photos and selfies should look even better. Apple even added a new feature called "Live Photos" which essentially take short video clips when you take a photo - more of a gimmick if you ask me.
- 3D Touch - Apple was the pioneer in multitouch for smartphones which brought in all the gestures we all know and love such as pinch-to-zoom. This time, they've added depth to the screen as well - the new iPhone 6S has 2 additional pressure sensitivities to the touchscreen that can be used to access additional features.
- New Rose Gold (Pink) color option.
- Upgraded Specs - Faster processor, memory, Wi-Fi and LTE connectivity, stronger aluminum and glass body.
In typical Apple fashion, the new iPhone 6S/6S Plus is "the best iPhone yet." The question is - should you take the leap? Well, that depends...
- If you have the iPhone 6/6 Plus - Don't do it. The iPhone 6 has a great camera already and the other new features are simply not enough to justify the cost of a new phone. Unless you have money to burn and really NEED a pink phone.
- If you have the iPhone 5S or older - Highly recommended. There are so many useful features that has been added to the iPhone in the last 2 years such as a larger screen, Apple Pay, better camera etc. that make the upgrade a worthy consideration.