We live in an amazing world of constant information, sometimes it can get overwhelming. "Future Proof Shares" is a weekly series with the goal of selecting a few interesting pieces of media on money and medicine from around the Interwebs. They may be old or new but will always be new to me. This series is inspired by "The Sunday Best" by my fellow physician money blogger Physician on FIRE (PoF). Enjoy!
- A powerful read, Chicago surgeon Dr. Samer Attar shares his experience working in a war zone in this NY Times piece - Why I Go to Aleppo.
- Here's one article you may have to request through your employer or your institution's library. JAMA Internal Medicine's research letter US Residency Competitiveness, Future Salary, and Burnout in Primary Care vs Specialty Fields confirms what most of us already know - it's all about the money money money.
- If you thought the Affordable Care Act exchanges were going to increase competition in the health insurance marketplace and decrease cost, think again. According to the Wall Street Journal, nearly one third of counties will have only 1 insurer offering health plans on the Obamacare exchanges next year. See Health Insurers’ Pullback Threatens to Create Monopolies.
- Is retirement on your mind? Check out Wallethub's 2016’s Best & Worst Cities to Retire. Small spoiler - I was stoked to find my current city Orlando atop the rankings.
- I'm always excited to find new physician bloggers. Dr. John Jurica's blog The VITAL Physician Executive is a new find for me. As an introduction, check out this 2-part post on nonclinical careers - Part 1: Is it Time for a Non-Clinical Career? and Part 2: Options for a Non-Clinical Career.