We live in an amazing world of constant information, sometimes it can get overwhelming. "Future Proof Shares" is a weekly series with the goal of selecting 5 interesting pieces of media on money and medicine from around the Interwebs. They may be old or new but will always be new to me. This series is inspired by "The Sunday Best" by my fellow physician money blogger Physician on FIRE (PoF). Enjoy!
- With the recent hurricanes, lots of homes and properties were flooded. How familiar are you with America's flood insurance program? For example, did you know the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is $30 billion in debt to the US treasury? Learn about it all in the latest episode from NPR Planet Money - Flood Money.
- For those of you about to finish training - residents or fellows in their final year, are you aware there is a current ongoing boom in the employment market for medical doctors? Fierce Healthcare reports - New doctor recruiting on the verge of a 'feeding frenzy'.
- I've pondered before on the ways to increase your income while in training. Here is a new perspective from Doximity op-(m)ed contributor Dr. Jonathan Rasouli - 4 Strategies for Earning Additional Income as a Resident.
- Financial guru Dave Ramsey is fond of saying "Personal Finance is 80% behavior and only 20% head knowledge." I tend to agree. The Wall Street Physician highlights several examples of how the battle between Psychology Versus Math In Personal Finance can carry out in the real life of a medical trainee. Which camp are you in?
- I've emphasized the importance of disability insurance for trainees before. Here is a reminder of the Top Ten Questions Physicians Ask About Disability Insurance, courtesy of the White Coat Investor.
Since 1993, Set For Life Insurance has been a national leader in helping thousands of physicians with their disability insurance needs. They have the largest portfolio of available exclusive discounts in the country. Set for Life also has the largest availability of unisex rates nationwide helping women save significantly. As independent brokers, they shop around and help compare plans to find the most suitable policy at the best available price. Jamie Fleischner, President of Set for Life, is known for her responsive, knowledgeable, and down to earth manner when working with her clients.