We live in an amazing world of constant information, sometimes it can get overwhelming. "Future Proof Shares" is a weekly series with the goal of selecting 5 interesting pieces of media on money and medicine from around the Interwebs. They may be old or new but will always be new to me. This series is inspired by "The Sunday Best" by my fellow physician money blogger Physician on FIRE (PoF). Enjoy!
- I've read a series of great articles on financial advisers recently. For example, White Coat Investor's Pick The Right Adviser From The Crowd. Here's a newer piece by Jason Zweig for the Wall Street Journal - Why Your Financial Adviser Can’t Be Conflict Free. Important to note - "can't be conflict free" isn't the same as "can't be trusted."
- Remember when Mr. Trump became President Trump and all the sudden his tweets started to influence markets? I wondered then if anyone will start trading stocks based on his tweets. Well the NPR Planet Money team went and built a bot to do just that. Check out their story - Episode 763: BOTUS.
- As I near my final year of residency, I start to look forward toward the so called "good life" that an attending physician might enjoy. In comes a bucket of ice water from none other than Financial Samurai - Scraping By On $500,000 A Year: Why It’s So Hard For High Income Earners To Escape The Rat Race. Definitely an interesting read.
- I'm a big proponent of maxing out your tax-advantaged investment accounts while in training. But once those hard earned dollars make their way over under the 401k/403b umbrellas, you'll have to invest them in something. Senior Resident gets into the weeds in this recent post - Roth 401k/403b in Residency Portfolios. Can you find your optimal portfolio?
- With the IRS tax filing deadline coming up in just over a week, I thought I would take the opportunity to introduce one of my new favorite podcasts. Kai Ryssdal and Molly Wood at Marketplace started a new podcast called Make Me Smart and they recently tackled the thorny topic of filing taxes. It's worth a listen - Why do our taxes have to be so complicated?
Stephanie Arcelay (Sun Trust Mortgage) specializes in serving the mortgage financing needs of licensed medical doctors and dentists. Whether you are a resident in training or a practicing physician, you will find many benefits of the Doctor Loan mortgage, including:
- Fixed or adjustable-rate options.
- Up to 100% financing and no monthly PMI payments.
- Flexible repayment terms to meet your financial need.