We live in an amazing world of constant information, sometimes it can get overwhelming. "Future Proof Shares" is a weekly series with the goal of selecting 5 interesting pieces of media on money and medicine from around the Interwebs. They may be old or new but will always be new to me. This series is inspired by "The Sunday Best" by my fellow physician money blogger Physician on FIRE (PoF). Enjoy!
- Ever heard of Oneida? Yes I'm talking about the flatware company. Why? Check out the latest episode from NPR Planet Money - Episode 777: Free Love, Free Market. I promise it's well worth your time.
- I haven't talked much about real estate as an investment. The reason is simple - I'm not an expert on the subject. Luckily my fellow physician money blogger Passive Income MD is. If you're interested in real estate, I highly recommend checking out his blog. Here he shares The Three Biggest Mistakes I’ve Made in Real Estate Investing.
- I have been in training for pretty much all of my adult life but I have never been trained to understand the greater art of healthcare economics. Sure I blog about managing personal finances, but when it comes to the bigger picture, this opinion piece by Dr. Jamie Koufman in the New York Times was quite an eye-opener - The Specialists’ Stranglehold on Medicine.
- When we are in training, we are shielded from most of the legal liability by our sponsoring institutions and attending physicians. While it's possible to be sued as a resident, it's still a rare occurrence. Still, it will serve us well to start learning more about the topic. Fierce Healthcare shares The top 5 reasons for malpractice lawsuits against doctors.
- I openly share my net worth with you on a quarterly basis. I hope you all understand your net worth is more than just the difference between what you earn and what you spend. Much like how the budget deficit and national debt are different. Here is an interesting question posed by Retire by 40 - Are You Worth More Than You Earned?
Since 1993, Set For Life Insurance has been a national leader in helping thousands of physicians with their disability insurance needs. They have the largest portfolio of available exclusive discounts in the country. Set for Life also has the largest availability of unisex rates nationwide helping women save significantly. As independent brokers, they shop around and help compare plans to find the most suitable policy at the best available price. Jamie Fleischner, President of Set for Life, is known for her responsive, knowledgeable, and down to earth manner when working with her clients.