We live in an amazing world of constant information, sometimes it can get overwhelming. "Future Proof Shares" is a weekly series with the goal of selecting 5 interesting pieces of media on money and medicine from around the Interwebs. They may be old or new but will always be new to me. This series is inspired by "The Sunday Best" by my fellow physician money blogger Physician on FIRE (PoF). Enjoy!
- You have multiple milestones to hit in your professional career - getting into medical school, matching into residency/fellowship, getting that first job etc. But what about financial milestones? The White Coat Investor shares 14 Financial Milestones Worth Celebrating. How many of these have you hit?
- I love talking about ways to keep Uncle Sam's greedy hands out of our wallets - legally. Although I admit I did not know about this one. The Wall Street Physicians writes about The Child Tax Credit For Medical Residents. Seems to me most residents/fellows would qualify. Are you going to take advantage?
- While FPMD is a blog about personal finance, I do enjoy reading about physician burnout. Truth be told, even though I have yet to finish medical training, I occasionally feel quite "burnt out" myself. So when I first read the headline on this Skeptical Scalpel article - Causes of death among residents, I reflexed to "suicide". Turns out I was wrong. Do you know the Leading Cause of Death Among Residents? Hint: It's not suicide.
- Did you catch the solar eclipse yesterday? While Florida wasn't on the path of totality, I still dodged out of the reading room for ~2 minutes to enjoy the celestial event with some co-workers. Turns out those 2 minutes add up quick. Check out how much in Solar eclipse coming with nearly $700 million tab for U.S. employers, courtesy of Reuters.
- FPMD has developed a small online following over time - emphasis on the "small". I still run the site as an amature, writing between my clinical and educational commitments whenever I can. Imagine my surprise (and delight) that anyone would consider me a "financial expert". Big thanks to Charley Mendoza for including me in her massive feature at InvestmentZen - 48 Financial Experts Reveal How Much Money They Need To Retire. Sit down and grab a bag of popcorn, this may take a while...
Looking for Physician Home Loan Financing? Zero down payment. No PMI insurance. Loan officer Matt Dazey has provided over $1 billion in loans in the last 22 years as Vice-President at Midland States Bank (Established 1881. Federally chartered). Loans available in 49 states (Except MD) for graduating medical students, Residents, Fellows and established Physicians. (MD, DPM and DO). Matt’s team will provide the highest quality of service and individual attention to each client. Available seven days a week at 314-512-8913.